New and improved portal offers the one-stop-shop for online and distance learning in Ontario
November 7, 2012
[THUNDER BAY] – Contact North | Contact Nord, Ontario’s Distance Education and Training Network, has launched a new and improved Ontario Online Learning Portal for Students.
This 24/7 gateway provides easy and quick access in English and French to up-to-date information on more than 18,000 courses and 1,000 programs available online and at a distance from Ontario’s public colleges, universities, literacy and other training providers. It also features resources and support services for students interested in studying online and at a distance in Ontario.
“Ontario’s 24 public colleges and 21 public universities offer more online and distance learning opportunities than any other jurisdiction in Canada – if not in North America,” said Contact North | Contact Nord President – Chief Executive Officer, Maxim Jean-Louis. “The Ontario Online Learning Portal for Students showcases these flexible learning options and provides students with access to the information and support they need to take full advantage of these opportunities.”
First launched in 2008, the Ontario Online Learning Portal for Students has been redesigned and enhanced based on:
- The experience of visitors to the portal;
- Expert usability studies with groups of students;
- Improvements identified through the Student Reference Group which consists of representatives from the Canadian Federation of Students – Ontario, the College Student Alliance, and the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance.
The new and improved portal features:
- Google-like Search –Search for information on more than 18,000 courses and 1,000 programs offered online and at a distance by Ontario’s 24 public colleges, 20 public universities, and 250 literacy and other training providers.
- Comprehensive Search Filters – Customize your results by using filters to search by institution, semester, field of study, delivery method, full-time or part-time, and more.
- Free Demos of Online & Distance Education Courses – Watch examples of courses for free to get a better idea of what online and distance learning is all about.
- Mobile Apps – Get the information you need, no matter where you are with our mobile apps for iPhone or Android.
- Student Services –Discover links to hundreds of student support services available from Ontario’s colleges and universities, including academic advising, employment, credit transfer, financial assistance, libraries, online tutoring, and prior learning assessments.
- Interactive Map – Explore an interactive map that allows you to find one of 112 Contact North | Contact Nord online learning centres nearby where you can get information and support with registration, access to technology, and can use audioconferencing, videoconferencing and web conferencing to take your courses.
Access the Ontario Online Learning Portal for Students at www.studyonline.ca